Sunday, December 20, 2009

[HeavyMetalHeaven] Ronnie James Dio, Judas Priest, Rob Halford, Alice Cooper, Amorphis, Guns N Roses, Duff Mackagan, Rob Zombie, Megadeth and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

Legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), who was recently diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer and is currently receiving treatment at the Mayo Clinic, has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"I'd like to take the time to thank everyone for the most wonderful gift I have ever received — your good wishes, your prayers, your support, your tears and laughter, your anger, your rejoicing, and most of all the unwavering love you have bestowed upon me. I guess I've always felt that we were one person and that you've allowed me to be our spokesman, but until this time of my greatest peril, the truth was perhaps slightly hidden. It is hidden no more. Together we shall face the foe and live on to climb higher mountains and explore greater magic. Together we cannot fail.

"Please accept my never-ending love and dedication to you all.

"So it is written, and so it shall be.

"Magic, from Ronnie James Dio."

According to a posting on the BLACK SABBATH fan site Black-Sabbath.com, fans can send get-well cards to Ronnie James Dio through the official fan club address:

Dio Fan Club
12400 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 624
Studio City , CA
91604

Additionally, if you'd like to send an email to Ronnie, you can do so via getwellronnie@black-sabbath.com. After a short time, Black-Sabbath.com webmaster Joe Siegler will print them out and pass them over to Ronnie and his wife/manager Wendy Dio.

Dio, 67, has performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also includes Iommi and other former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

David "Gus" Griesinger of BackstageAxxess.com recently conducted an interview with JUDAS PRIEST frontman Rob Halford. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

BackstageAxxess.com: When do you think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will recognize your band, JUDAS PRIEST, and your contemporaries in the heavy metal music genre?

Rob: Well, you have no control over that. You just keep doing what your doing and eventually you will get your moment. It's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and it should be acknowledging some of these great people in rock and roll at all the different levels. METALLICA, AC/DC, hopefully KISS (Editor's note: KISS did not get inducted for the class of 2010 that was announced on December 15), SABBATH. There are a handful of people being recognized. I don't know. If it happens to PRIEST, it will be fantastic! I certainly think we deserve it! It's out of our hands, like the fifth Grammy nomination we received, but haven't won one yet. The fact that they thought about and considered us is a tremendous moment in itself! If PRIEST gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it will be a wonderful day!

BackstageAxxess.com: You have your own clothing line called Metal God Apparel. How did the idea of starting your own clothing line come about?

Rob: It's just an extension of what I do onstage, ya know? I like to keep the interest focused on the stage and the performers. One of the ways to do it, or a way I like to try to do it, is to keep the costume changes going. I created Metal God Entertainment a couple of years ago, which is a broad based platform level of Metal God Records. We do things slowly and methodically to let people know we are a solid company that has good products. The clothing idea was already in the mix and we are just in the first phase of releasing the t-shirts, that are doing really well, so we will see where we will go next!

BackstageAxxess.com: I was going to ask you what your take is on the new generation of video games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Obviously, you attached some of your songs to these games but what is your overall take on them?

Rob: It's just another form of entertainment, isn't it? I just heard from the AP that the recession is heading into the gaming industry. I think it's wonderfully lectured, its exciting, fantasy, and escapism. Your not only getting music with the games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band but simulating the moment with a special kind of guitar or drum set or what have you. You're also an active participant for the next great guitar player or drummer in the future. It's a great learning tool, especially for kids. It teaches kids discipline. It teaches them to be good at something. In order for them to do this you have to practice, practice, practice. Some of these games have a productive use. So anything like that is particularly important. Especially getting your music across to a generation who normally wouldn't have heard of you before...until that moment.

Jay Nanda of Examiner.com recently conducted an interview with drummer Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, RIOT, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Examiner.com: What was your first encounter like with Rob [Halford]?

Jarzombek: There wasn't a whole lot of guys that auditioned for HALFORD. Roy Z [guitarist/producer] recommended me for the gig. When I was rehearsing, we had rehearsed for maybe a day or so, and I was learning the material, trying to feel out what I wanted to play on certain songs. And Rob came in, and I didn't know that he was listening outside for a few songs. And he walks in, and we're playing. Somebody introduced me to Rob, and he was like, "Keep playing." He was walking around the kit, and he noticed I was reading my music, and he started doing the whole metal jabs, taking little punches while he's standing in front of the kit. And I'm like, "I guess he's kind of digging it." Rob said, "Let's take a break," and we went to Granada, which is in Burbank (California), and had some Mexican food. They had a huge table set up, and somehow Rob ended up right across from me. He knew I was from San Antonio, so we started talking about the legacy of Joe
Anthony and what he did for metal. You could tell that Rob knew a lot about the city. Rob had a few stories about eating at different restaurants in San Antonio. It was great. Cool conversation. I could tell at that point that I was really going to like being in the band. He's still probably, out of all the people that I've ever worked with, he's definitely on the top as far as a great human being, great person. When we played in San Antonio opening up for IRON MAIDEN in 2000, that was my birthday, at Sunken Gardens. Rob made a big announcement. That was a big moment. Probably one of my finest moments, I would say. I had just gotten the gig six months earlier, we recorded "Resurrection", and I'm touring the world with Rob.

Examiner.com: What's the future of the bands your involved with?

Jarzombek: Right now I'm demoing stuff with FATES WARNING. A new song I just e-mailed to (guitarist) Jim (Matheos) a couple days ago turned out really good. He's got a 16-minute song for me that I'm gonna start listening to. I am excited about recording the record with FATES WARNING, and I'll probably do that when I get back from doing this tour with Sebastian in February or March. RIOT is going through a little bit of growing pains right now, and I wish things would move faster for the band. We're slowly kind of getting there to where we're working on things. That's about it. I would love to do another record with RIOT.

Examiner.com: So how did the June 2 show with RIOT in town go?

Jarzombek: I think we did four rehearsals, but where else are we going to do a warm-up show? San Antonio was a good place. Anytime you do something like a reunion, I think there's certain expectations that people have or a certain level that you really wish it would be at. But it's hard to be there unless you're a band that tours all the time. But it was good, and I thought we did good in Japan and at some European festivals. That "Thundersteel" record was done really quick, too. It was crazy. It's a great-sounding record, still today, to me, sonically.

Examiner.com: Who would be your dream bandmates of all-time?

Jarzombek: That's kind of a common question, but I don't think anyone's ever asked me that. Oh, man. That is weird. I'd say Gary Moore on guitar, but when he was doing his solo material, not the bluesy material he's been doing for the last 10 or whatever years. That's weird. I don't know who would play bass. Maybe Geddy Lee. Singer — probably Mikael Åkerfeldt from OPETH. That's a hard question, it really is. That's one of those questions where I would walk away and come up with the right guys.

ALICE COOPER and AMORPHIS have been confirmed for next year's edition of the Wacken Open Air festival, set to take place August 5-7, 2010 in Wacken, Germany.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

1349
ALICE COOPER
AMORPHIS
ARCH ENEMY
CALIBAN
CANNIBAL CORPSE
CORVUS CORAX
DESPISED ICON
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
EDGUY
ENDSTILLE
GHOST BRIGADE
GRAVE DIGGER
IMMORTAL
IRON MAIDEN
MÖTLEY CRÜE
ORDEN OGAN
PRIMAL FEAR
SLAYER
STRATOVARIUS
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
U.D.O.
W.A.S.P.

According to a Twitter message by GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, tonight's (Saturday, December 19) GN'R concert in Tokyo, Japan was the band's longest performance ever at three hours and 37 minutes.

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Chinese Democracy
02. Welcome to the Jungle
03. It's So Easy
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Catcher in the Rye
06. Sorry
07. Band Jam (I Want You Back, Jackson 5)
08. If the World
09. Richard Fortus Solo (James Bond Theme)
10. Live and Let Die
11. Dizzy Reed Solo (Ziggy Stardust)
12. Street of Dreams
13. Band Jam
14. You Could Be Mine
15. Rocket Queen
16. My Michelle
17. DJ Ashba Solo
18. Sweet Child O' Mine
19. Shackler's Revenge
20. I.R.S.
21. Band Jam
22. Axl Rose piano solo
23. November Rain
24. Band Jam
25. Whole Lotta Rosie
26. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
27. Scraped
28. Prostitute
29. Jam
30. This I Love
31. Frank Ferrer Solo (We Will Rock You)
32. Out Ta Get Me
33. Ron Thal solo (Pink Panther Theme/Don't Cry)
34. Don't Cry (Axl, Ron and DJ)
35. Nightrain

Encore:

36. Madagascar
37. There Was a Time
38. My Generation
39. Better
40. Patience
41. Nice Boys
42. Paradise City

Earlier in the week, GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose issued a statement claiming that he he did not authorize the posting of an earlier statement regarding a scuffle between him and a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) last week. Rose was quoted as saying in the new post, "I did not release any statement or authorize either any statement or anyone to release a statement regarding anything at any airport anywhere . . . (In my opinion) this nonsense may be some type of manufactured or publicity stunt."

Rose did not say why the statement regarding the incident was posted in the first place, but hinted at miscommunication with people in his own organization. "We had recently began working with newer individuals in management in relation to our current Asian tour . . . though as it happens we are once again touring Asia without management of any kind," he wrote.

The altercation occurred on Wednesday (December 9) at LAX while Rose was preparing to board a flight to Taiwan for the first GUNS N' ROSES show in three years. TMZ reported that Rose punched an "overzealous paparazzo," with the original statement at the GUNS blog saying that the photographer "became aggressive with the singer and female members of the traveling group."

Rose was not arrested and was allowed to board his flight to Taiwan.

GUNS N' ROSES' last world tour, in 2006 and 2007, took in 60 shows in 26 countries and was the band's first full trek since 1993.

The "limited edition deluxe coffin box set" version of ROB ZOMBIE 's new album, "Hellbilly Deluxe 2", is available for pre-order at RobZombie.com.

The "deluxe box set" features the "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" album, an exclusive t-shirt, exclusive belt-buckle and exclusive bandana all packaged together inside of a coffin-shaped box that is truly a piece of ghoulish artwork.

"Hellbilly Deluxe 2" is scheduled for release on February 2, 2010 via Roadrunner Records' Loud & Proud imprint.

"Hellbilly Deluxe 2" track listing:

01. Jesus Frankenstein
02. Sick Bubblegum
03. What?
04. Mars Needs Women
05. Werewolf , Baby!
06. Virgin Witch
07. Death and Destiny Inside The Dream Factory
08. Burn
09. Cease to Exist
10. Werewolf Women of the SS
11. The Man Who Laughs

Zombie hinted in an online post that his new CD could be his last, saying, "Well, pretty soon the CD will be dead. All you will have left is digital downloads. So before we say goodbye to the almighty CD, I thought I would give it a big send-off. I love being able to get great artists involved on my CD artwork and this time is the best yet. Since this may be the last true CD I make, I thought I would gather three of the top artists around to contribute some killer new Zombie art for the booklet."

The artists contributing work to the CD's booklet are Nocturnals comic book creator Dan Brereton, animation and storyboard artist David Hartman and Italian artist Alex Horley, who has worked for Image Comics and DC Comics .

Zombie's recent "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" tour marked his return to the road after moderate box office success as the writer and director of "Halloween II" (Dimension). His R-rated, animated feature, "The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto", was made available everywhere on DVD and Blu-ray September 22.

"Halloween II", the follow-up to Zombie's successful 2007 remake of the original 1978 horror classic, came in at No. 3 in its opening weekend, earning $17 million at the box office. That's far less than the $31 million his first "Halloween" flick did two years ago.

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following message in the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"Thank you so much for once again supporting my career and my band this last year, and making it possible for me and my family to donate again this Christmas season to the San Diego Children's Hospital and to the various homeless and church outreach programs for the poor and needy with over ten pallets of brand new toys.

"I wanted to also thank Pam [Dave's wife], Justis [Dave's son], Electra [Dave's daughter] and her friend Lilly, Jeff Payne, Zach Coleman, and Owen Cooper for helping me distribute all of the 100+ boxes of toys yesterday, and I have just one more stop to make for the children of the fallen soldiers at the base near my home. We are just waiting on a call back and we are off. I think that with everyone shipping out that the base has higher priorities right now above letting a 6' tall red-headed Elf delivery toys.

"This goodwill and all-around 'feel-good' event doesn't change the fact that I have been facing and trying to improve my bad attitude, big mouth, brain full o' toxic thoughts, difficulty to talk to or work with, and just all-around normal mean human attributes. I want to change and I always get a great lift from doing this with the toys. I know it is making me a better person because I don't have to wear the jacket with the long sleeves and the buckles anymore at my weekly head shrinker sessions.

"I want to also say thanks to my dear friend Elaine Hinton and the good folks of the Hasbro toy company for helping make this come to fruition again this year. I also want to thank all of the people behind the scenes that will be working with these children this Christmas season; all of the hospital, social services, church and missionary outreach personnel, and volunteers. You are so awesome!

"So, while some still obsess on finding fault in me and try to point it out, nice try! I already know and am working on it. To those who enjoy hurting me, nice try! I hurt enough already and you can't increase or reinjure what has been or is being healed. But for those who believe in me, just know that I felt you with me all day yesterday, every step of the way (except on the really heavy stuff — it felt like you took a break whenever the boxes got heavy!)

"As things continue to get better and better for me, and we look at how the problems of the past have all melted away, I can't help but be amazed. I am friends with the PANTERA boys again, we are touring with the SLAYER boys and Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] and I are becoming friends again (I am happy about this one), and with the announcement of the 'Big Four' [tour featuring METALLICA, MEGADETH, SLAYER and ANTHRAX], it should be clear to everyone now that the feud is over (and has been for years).

"I STILL have more good news to tell you as soon as I get a green light.

"Can you believe that?

"I hope you all have a great day and a great weekend, and I just want to thank you for your support and tell you how much I love you."
Former MEGADETH guitarist Jeff Young has responded to Dave Mustaine's allegation that the band's 1988 Australian tour was cancelled because of Young's heroin addiction.

Jeff, who made headlines on December 18 for accusing the MEGADETH mainman of, among other things, "dissing, exaggerating and just plain lying on some level about nearly every talented musician that has passed through his dysfunctional little ensemble," has taken to his official MySpace blog once again to address Mustaine's claim in a recent interview that Young's drug problem led to MEGADETH's 1988 Australian tour being called off and the group being "banned" from performing in the country.

Speaking to Tim Cashmere of Undercover during MEGADETH's October 2009 tour of Australia with SLAYER, Mustaine said (see video below), "We got banned down here [Australia] a long time ago because Jeff Young was playing guitar for us and we were all pretty messed up — heroin was really prevalent — and Jeff ran out in Japan. So he wanted to go home. Now, when I ran out, I just drank. [chuckles] But he wanted to go home. And we cancelled Australia. And consequently we stuck our head into a noose and we didn't come back here for 10 years. When we did come back here, we had a different promoter. We started to make amends to the Australian audience for what had happened.

"You know, it's a long way to come down here and to get people's hopes up and not come, that sucks. Especially because I'm sure it happens a lot. I'm sure there's a lot of people that say they're coming and they change their mind. So I don't wanna ever be like that again.

"So when we came down here, it was all about regaining the relationship with the Australian people. And the metal community here is very forgiving.

"I think if you are honest and you can say, 'Hey, look, we made a mistake...'

"I should have beat Jeff's butt and stuck him in a suitcase and went to Australia. [laughs] But, at the time, there was just no reasoning with him. This is the same guy that called up my girlfriend and said, 'I fantasize about having sex with you when I have sex with my girlfriend.' And I went, 'What did he say?' So I fired him on the spot for that. . . This happened [after the heroin incident]. 'Cause it was like the dust that accumulates makes mountains and this thing became like Mount Everest; it got to the point where it was like, 'No more.' 'Cause he opened up my suitcase one time and he found this love letter from Doro [Pesch] that she sent me. And he was in love with Doro, and he goes, 'I quit.' And his guitar tech came up to me and he goes, 'Hey, I can play his stuff tonight — don't worry, man.' I said, 'No, you can't. This stuff is so involved.' [laughs] And he goes, 'Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been spitting in his water
bottle every night.' And I went... [makes puking face]. 'Cause it was so disgusting to hear the guy do that."

The following is Young's response, as published on his official MySpace blog on December 19, 2009:

"I honestly didn't think I would be writing again so soon but in the wake of all the online chatter flailing about, some new info has come to light and there is absolutely no way I'm not responding to this...

"[Addressing Dave directly] Really, Dave, you lying piece of shit!!?? You've always respected the audience? Is that why every single night you had to be carried off stage cause you were too fucked up to stand — let alone play or sing. Were you really too fucked up to realize that Jr. [bassist David Ellefson], [drummer] Chuck [Behler] and I had a deal with the soundman to bury your guitar and vocal in the mix?

"Do you consider it respectful when a fan asks you for a guitar pick that you pick your stinking nose and flick it at them with a, 'There's your pick' response?

"Sid Vicious really had nothing on you — your fans truly ARE the lucky ones!

"So, we canceled the Australian tour because I ran out of heroin!? Let's get the REAL truth out there, buddy. We cancelled the Australia tour for one reason: So you could get back to L.A. quick . . . and into one of how many failed attempts at rehab? Then, while you are in rehab, you try to get me and the other members to smuggle heroin into the rehab in a Coke can!? WTF?

"In your futile attempt to pin your crap on an innocent party — let alone a cancer survivor that is seeking to live a stress-free lifestyle — you've shown yourself to be the most pathetic of human waste imaginable.

"While we're talking 'smack'... let's cover a few other areas:

"How bout the time you tried to get first, Chuck then Jr. and finally me to drive two hours to Medieval Times and bring you heroin? Your mom and sister were there with you that time, right? I'm sure they would have been so proud to see you nodding off at that jousting fest? Was that the first time you fired your entire band in one night because you couldn't get your fix? Yeah, you REALLY 'tough it out' when you can't get off, don't you?

"Or the time you got your guitar tech arrested trying to score you junk for you in East L.A.? As it happens, that was one of the nights I was tracking the solos you supposedly sang to me... wink, wink. Let us not forget when you put all of us — your band, your crew, our equipment in critical danger smuggling heroin into Japan submerged in shampoo bottles? JAPAN!! The place where they lock you up and throw away the key for drug smuggling. Thanks ever so for placing all of us in that position without our knowledge. With a boss like you, who needs enemies?

"Let us not forget my final gig with your outfit [at] the Monsters of Rock - Castle Donington [England]. We were supposed to play several more shows on that tour and AGAIN, we canceled for your next trip to rehab. And what was the lie that time? Oh yeah, that Jr. fractured his wrist and couldn't play! Put it on poor Jr. — the one that stood by you through everything.

"How do you live with yourself, man? Everyone was looking forward to the playing to the biggest crowds of our career and YOU ruined it up for us all! I'm sure our buddies in TESTAMENT who got to take our place REALLY appreciated it, though.

"Look around, man, read the responses online about yourself. Even your own fans can barely stand you anymore. You've lost your grip on reality and no one cares about your narcissistic warped views of the world. We mere mortals in Megaland simply can't wait for your forthcoming biography. 'Countdown to Extreme Bullshit' is a title I would like to submit for your consideration.

"All the fans you have left want is for you to shut the fuck up and use some of that toxic energy you waste spewing bullshit across the globe, turn it into something remotely positive and make an album that's half as good as 'Peace Sells But Who's Buying?!', 'So Far, So Good, So What?!' or 'Rust In Peace'.

"The few little bits I've shared to date are just tip of the iceberg — the measly stuff. If the fool wants to keep going, I now sit at the ready to respond in like to his banal verbal attacks. But the forthcoming details left to be shared won't be so pretty.

"Of course, there is another option. You wanna act like children? We can act like children. You think you're so fucking great? God's gift to guitar virtuosity? How 'bout this: I barely play electric guitar anymore but I hereby challenge you to a duel, sir: Any stage, anywhere in the world, any two MEGADETH tunes from the 'Peace Sells But Who's Buying?!' or 'So Far, So Good, So What?!' era. Let's see what's what brother. I'll play my solos, Chris' [Poland] solos AND your solos note-for-note and you have to do the same. Since you sang all of our solos to us, that should be an easy task for you, right?

"Are you ready to shut up and put your skills where your big fat overrated mouth is?

"One condition: You can't get anyone to help you figure out Chris or my solos — you have to do it by ear, just as I did/will. Finally, there will be no hiding behind other people's talent for you. Maybe Eddie Trunk will even let us do it on [VH1 Classic's] 'That Metal Show' so everyone can see what's real?

"Eddie, call me! ;)

"In closing, I want to respond briefly to the few that are concerned that I might be posting these blogs to drum up sales for my new album. I don't want my intent misconstrued.

"I don't need the money, I'm fully engaged in my new project, the YMT guitar trio and have no immediate plans to tour in support of my album. [Young's new solo album] 'Equilibrium' will sell what it will. If you like what you hear, buy it; if not, don't. And have a nice day.

"I'm doing this for one reason... I'm friends with Chris Poland, Glen Drover, Nick Menza and David Ellefson. And although I've yet to meet Marty [Friedman] and the others, I respect each of their talent immensely.

"Former disrespected MEGADETH members UNITE!"

According to Southern California Public Radio, lawyers for Stephen Bier, better known by the stage names Pogo and Madonna Wayne Gacy, and shock-rocker Marilyn Manson told Judge Michael L. Stern on December 11 that a settlement was reached in Bier's August 2007 breach-of-contract lawsuit against Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner.

The terms of the accord were not divulged.

Bier, who was seeking more than $20 million, alleged Manson used money from their former band partnership to buy items ranging from Nazi paraphernalia to a $150,000 engagement ring for ex-wife Dita Von Teese

Laura Wiebe Taylor of Hellbound recently conducted an in-depth interview with guitarist Bruce Franklin of legendary Chicago doom metallers TROUBLE. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

On TROUBLE's "Live in Los Angeles" album, recorded with new vocalist Kory Clarke (WARRIOR SOUL) in the summer of 2008:

"It wasn't a big ordeal to record, which made it more feasible for us to do. Our sound man basically recorded just the one show on the tour so it wasn't like a big costly thing. We didn't actually have the plan of releasing a live album but once we listened to the recording of the show, we thought that would be a good idea — to introduce people to Kory, and in the meantime give us a little time to gel with him and write stuff for a new record."

On TROUBLE's 30th aniversary (the band formed in 1979):

"Now that Rick Wartell [guitar] and myself are the only original members left, I guess we didn't make a big deal out of it. If we had most everybody still in the band we may have done a big deal about it. We kind of just acknowledged it ourselves and publicly didn't say much about it."

On TROUBLE's newest member, drummer Marko Lira:

"Marko was playing in Rick's side band, WET ANIMAL, and actually our drummer [Jeff Olson] kind of quit suddenly on us. Well, he had given notice that he was going to leave but we had two festivals to play in Europe and then he backed out of them at the last minute, I mean, literally like two weeks before the festivals. We had to find somebody fast, and there really wasn't time to audition people, so Marko was the first person we tried to fill in so we could not bail on those festivals. And then it ended up becoming a more permanent thing. It's been over a year now, so he's had time to gel."

On working with singer Kory Clarke:

"Kory has been at least a year and a half with us now. Over time like that, people kind of find their comfort zone in the band and realize what the band's all about and kind of find their niche.

"Rick had seen Kory playing with his last band that he was in, DIRTY RIG, a few years back, and when it came time that we were going to be trying to replace Eric [Wagner], he brought that up to me about Kory and said, 'What do you say we give him a call?' and I was like, 'Sure.' And I guess Kory thought about it for a bit and decided it wasn't a bad idea, and he tried it out and it seemed to kind of work on some level.

"We've heard some people ask, 'Why did you pick Kory Clarke?' because he's not a doom metal singer or he doesn't sound anything like Eric, but we weren't particularly looking for someone to sound just like Eric, and we weren't necessarily looking for someone who was just a doom metal singer either. And we were thinking that maybe we could branch out and do something — a few little twists of things that maybe we've never done before with it, with a kind of vocalist like this. The way I describe it is a cross between the singer from NAZARETH and the first IRON MAIDEN singer Paul Di'Anno — it's a blend of those two voices, I mean, for the sound of his voice. Of course, he has his own style in the way he sings. I suppose maybe it's not for everyone, especially people that expected somebody who sounds just like Eric because he certainly doesn't sound like Eric. But he grew up listening to the same kind of stuff we did, and we thought maybe we could do
something pretty cool, you know, doing a new record and seeing what might happen with that."

On TROUBLE's as-yet-untitled new album, Clarke's debut with the band:

"We have all the music basically written — the bare skeletons of the music are pretty much done — but we need to finish getting together with Kory and working on some of this. So we'll see."

"There's some stuff like some of the first album — 'Psalm 9' album stuff — and then there's some of the heavy groove stuff, like in the more recent years we've done, and there might be a couple songs that sound even maybe a little bit different than stuff we've done. I don't mean radically different — it's still gonna sound like TROUBLE. It isn't like we've written a couple of songs that don't sound anything like TROUBLE. Maybe it's because with Kory singing it sounds a little different. I think it's going to be a good mix. It's definitely going to have some pretty heavy stuff. It's not the more commercial side of TROUBLE.

"In the early days I'd probably write a lot of the music and there'd be a few songs we'd write together as a band in some cases. Then, in '90s-era TROUBLE we would have that same aspect and then Eric might have an acoustic song and then that we would take and kind of embellish it and make it more of a song as a band, and that was some stuff we started doing later on. As for this record, this may be the most songs that Rick's ever had of his on an album — basically Rick's written about half and I've written about half of what's gonna be the new record. So it will be different in that respect."
Legendary Maryland doom band IRON MAN has been confirmed for the seventh edition of the Doom Shall Rise festival, set to take place April 9-10, 2010 at the Chapel in Göppingen, Germany.

The festival billing is as follows:

40 WATT SUN (UK)
ARGUS (USA)
DOOMSHINE (GER)
GRIEVING AGE (SAUDI ARABIA)
IRON MAN (USA)
ISOLE (SWE)
JEX THOTH (USA)
KODIAK (GER)
MAGMA RISE (HUN)
MOURNING BELOVETH (IRE)
NOMADSON (MALTA)
ORODRUIN (USA)
RITUALS OF THE OAK (AUS)
SHEVER (CH)
THE 11TH HOUR (NL)
UNSILENCE (UK)

Ticket pre-sales starts on January 1 at 9 p.m. CET.

For more information, visit www.doomshallrise.de.
Jon Matsumoto of San Jose Mercury News recently conducted an interview with guitarist Rob Cavestany of San Francisco Bay Area metallers DEATH ANGEL. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

On the band's recently revamped lineup:

"Everyone in the band is beyond happy. I've accepted my life in music and the crazy path that I'm on. The two new members (bassist Damien Sisson and drummer Will Carroll) are so fresh and excited. We really feed off of their energy.

"They're so glad to be a part of it. They're early for rehearsal. They stay late."

On his interactions with his recently departed bandmates:

"Unfortunately, we don't really talk these days. The music was always the glue between us even as kids. Once that went out of the picture there was nothing left to talk about. It's so uncomfortable. It's like trying to hang out with your ex-wife after you have a new partner.

"And it really sucks for our kids because they should be hanging out together like we did when we were kids."

On the major bus accident DEATH ANGEL was involved in while on tour in which drummer Andy Galeon was seriously hurt with a head injury and other damages that would require reconstructive surgery:

"That's one of those very painful, bittersweet memories. But you can't live your life thinking about what-ifs. Everyone's got a million what-ifs. I don't want to beat myself up about that."

On DEATH ANGEL's decision to reunite permanently following a club date and a festival show in Eindhoven, Holland:

"There were like 1,000 people at this club in Eindhoven and guys were singing every word to every song. It was one of the most memorable gigs we've ever done. People were coming up to us and hugging us. We saw a lot of old faces.

"That show convinced us that we had to keep on going."

The previously announced hard rock and heavy metal concert to raise money to help in the search for missing Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington has been potponed "due to a major snowstorm" in the area.

WHIPLASH, AT WAR and DANGEROUS NEW MACHINE were scheduled to take part in the event, which was supposed to be held tonight (Saturday, December 19) at the Canal Club in Richmond — more than two months after Morgan Harrington was last seen at a METALLICA concert in Charlottesville. All proceeds were meant to go to the Find Morgan Fund, which supports the Harrington family's ongoing search efforts.

A spokeswoman for the Harrington family issued the following statement: "Organizers DVS Artist Management & Marchant Entertainment are working with the Canal Club to reschedule the event and we will provide an update as soon as details are confirmed."

Californian rockers STEEL PANTHER have been confirmed for next year's Sweden Rock Festival, set to take place June 9-12, 2010 in Sölvesborg in southern Sweden.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

ALDO NOVA (CAN)
ANVIL (CAN)
BACHMAN & TURNER (CAN)
BIGELF (US)
D-A-D (DK)
DANZIG (US)
JORN (N)
MAGNUM (UK)
MOTHER'S FINEST (US)
NAZARETH (UK)
RICK SPRINGFIELD (AUS/US)
RATT (US)
RAVEN (UK/US)
SABATON (S)
SAGA (CAN)
STEEL PANTHER (US)
UNISONIC (D)
W.A.S.P. (US)
WATAIN (S)
Y&T (US)

This year's festival was visited by 35,200 people, but in 2010 the maximum number of visitors will be limited to 33,000.

For more information, visit www.swedenrock.com.

GWAR has been confirmed for next year's edition of the With Full Force festival, set to take place July 2-4, 2010 at Flugplatz Roitzschjora in Löbnitz, Germany (near Leipzig).

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

AS I LAY DYING
BLEEDING THROUGH
BORN FROM PAIN
CALIBAN
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
EARTH CRISIS
EKTOMORF
ELSTERGLANZ
EVERGREEN TERRACE
GWAR
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
LETZTE INSTANZ
NOFX
TEXAS IN JULY
THE BONES
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
THE EXPLOITED
TOXPACK
UNLEASHED
WALLS OF JERICHO

For the first time, organizers are announcing bands on the official With Full Force advent calendar; each day in December a new band is being confirmed for the festival.

For more information, visit www.withfullforce.de.

Swedish progressive rockers ABRAMIS BRAMA have been confirmed for the Linköping Metal Massacre 4 festival, set to take place Saturday, March 6, 2010 at Konsert & Kongress in Linköping, Sweden.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

ABRAMIS BRAMA
ALGAION
BULLET
THE HAUNTED
Finnish folk metallers ENSIFERUM have been confirmed for next year's installment of the Summer Breeze festival, set to take place August 19-21, 2010 in Dinkelsbühl, Germany.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

1349
AHAB
ANATHEMA
ASPHYX
BARREN EARTH
BEHEMOTH
CALLISTO
CANNIBAL CORPSE
CUMULO NIMBUS
DARK FUNERAL
DARK TRANQUILLITY
DESPISED ICON
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
DYING FETUS
EISBRECHER
EISREGEN
ENSIFERUM
FIDDLER'S GREEN
FREI.WILD
FEUERSCHWANZ
HAIL OF BULLETS
HYPOCRISY
ILL NINO
INSOMNIUM
KORPIKLAANI
KYLESA
LEAVES' EYES
LETZTE INSTANZ
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
MAROON
MONO INC.
MY DYING BRIDE
NECROPHAGIST
OBITUARY
ORIGIN
ORPHANED LAND
POISONBLACK
REBELLION
SEPULTURA
SOLSTAFIR
SUBWAY TO SALLY
SWALLOW THE SUN
THE CROWN
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
TRACEDAWN
WAR FROM A HARLOTS MOUTH
WE BUTTER THE BREAD WITH BUTTER

For more information, go to this location.
CHROME DIVISION, the Norwegian five-piece featuring DIMMU BORGIR frontman Shagrath (a.k.a. Stian Thoresen) on guitar, has issued the following studio update:

"While most others running around preparing for Christmas, CHROME DIVISION do what they find most appropriate: record another album.

"The last weeks the boys from the east have been in Marius Strand Studio in Oslo and recorded five new CHROME rumblers. In other words, the first half of the album is carved in stone. The last and closing session will take place within the first months of 2010.

"Track listing so far:

* Bulldogs Unleashed
* Zombies & Monsters
* Fight
* Join The Ride
* Unholy Roller

"The album title is not yet revealed.

"So far it sounds fucking awsome. The songs are better, the sound is better, and with Shady Blue [a.k.a. Athera of SUSPERIA] and his characteristic attitude, the vocals are better.

"The rock album of the year, anyone?"

CHROME DIVISION in August parted ways with longtime vocalist Eddie Guz "due to lack of dedication and commitment to the band." His replacement is none other than Athera of SUSPERIA, who filled in for Guz at the Winterfire Festival at Hessenhallen in Giessen, Germany on February 21, 2009 after Eddie Guz was unable to make the gig.

An e-card for "Booze, Broads And Beelzebub", the sophomore album from CHROME DIVISION, can be accessed at this location.

"Booze, Broads And Beelzebub" was released in July 2008 in Europe and August 2008 in North America via Nuclear Blast Records.

The follow-up to 2006's "Doomsday Rock 'n' Roll ", "Booze, Broads And Beelzebub" was recorded at Studio Fredman in Sweden during January 2008 and contains a dozen or so tracks, including a cover of a classic ZZ TOP tune. The material was described by the band as "a bit more varied than on 'Doomsday Rock 'n Roll'. A bit more metal, more fast stuff, but still the basics in filthy rock 'n' roll."

CHROME DIVISION current lineup:

Shagrath - Guitar
Luna - Bass
Shady Blue - Vocals
Ricky Doom - Guitar
Tony White - Drums
Orange County, California's BLEEDING THROUGH has been confirmed for next year's edition of the With Full Force festival, set to take place July 2-4, 2010 at Flugplatz Roitzschjora in Löbnitz, Germany (near Leipzig).

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

AS I LAY DYING
BLEEDING THROUGH
BORN FROM PAIN
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
EARTH CRISIS
EKTOMORF
ELSTERGLANZ
EVERGREEN TERRACE
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
LETZTE INSTANZ
NOFX
TEXAS IN JULY
THE BONES
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
THE EXPLOITED
TOXPACK
UNLEASHED
WALLS OF JERICHO

For the first time, organizers are announcing bands on the official With Full Force advent calendar; each day in December a new band is being confirmed for the festival.

For more information, visit www.withfullforce.de.

Finnish metallers NOWEN have inked a deal with Violent Journey Records. The band's full-length debut, "Nothing But Hate", is scheduled for release in the spring.

The track listing for the CD is as follows:

01. Intro
02. The Sick Weakness
03. Dead Meat
04. Fragile
05. Bleed, Suffer And Die
06. Sofia
07. Nothing But Hate
08. After The Suicide
09. From Time To Eternity

NOWEN's "Where Hell Begins" MCD was released in 2005.


NOWEN is:

Lappis (WITHERIA) - Guitar , Vocals
Kusmar Rotten (WITHERIA) - Guitar
Ville Vehviläinen (WALTARI) - Drums
Jarno Nurmi (SLUGATHOR) - Bass

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/nowenband.

SPIRALARMS, the San Francisco Bay Area-based band featuring Craig Locicero (FORBIDDEN, ex-MANMADEGOD) on guitar , Tim Narducci (ex-SYSTEMATIC) on vocals, Chris "Cornbread" Lombardo on bass, Brad Barth on keyboards, Greg Narducci on rhythm guitar and Ron Redeen on drums, has finished recording its full-length debut, "Highest Society". According to Narducci, "Ron played the last of the percussion yesterday and I put down some BEATLES-esque backgrounds on 'Sleep Of The Just' to take the song to a trippier place. Files of 'Bottom Rung' were sent off to our broham Eric Kretz [STONE TEMPLE PILOTS/ex-SPIRALARMS drummer] in L.A. so he can lay down some slay bells at his studio (Bomb Shelter). This will be badass! Last, we start mixing shortly after the New Year."

"Highest Society" will be released through Luxury Buzz, the new label started by Narducci and Barth. Other songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Blood And Wine", "Later On", "Live Another Day", "Scorpio", "Silver Sky", "All That You Seek", "Dirty Bomb" and "Got It All Wrong".

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/spiralarms.

THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, EVERY TIME I DIE, SUICIDE SILENCE and WHITECHAPEL are among the confirmed bands for next year's Vans Warped Tour, which is scheduled to take place between June 24 and August 10, 2010.

The following acts will take part in the entire tour:

ACE ENDERS
AFTER MIDNIGHT PROJECT
ALESANA
AM TAXI
ANARBOR
ANDREW WK
ARTIST VS. POET
ATTACK ATTACK!
BREATHE CAROLINA
BREATHE ELECTRIC
CLOSURE IN MOSCOW
CONFIDE
EMAROSA
EMMURE
EYES SET TO KILL
FAKE PROBLEMS
FAR FROM FINISHED
FIGHT FAIR
HEY MONDAY
IN FEAR AND FAITH
MAYDAY PARADE
NEVERSHOUTNEVER
OF MICE AND MEN
PARKWAY DRIVE
PIERCE THE VEIL
REV PEYTON'S BIG DAMN BAND
RIVERBOAT GAMBLERS
SET YOUR GOALS
SUICIDE SILENCE
SUM 41
THE CAB
THE CASUALTIES
THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
THE ROCKET SUMMER
THE SUMMER SET
VERSAEMERGE
WE ARE THE IN CROWD
WHITECHAPEL
YOU ME AT SIX

The following artists will appear at select dates only:

BRING ME THE HORIZON (Jun. 24 - Jul. 30, Aug. 5 - Aug. 15)
CALL THE COPS (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
CHASEBAND (Jul. 22 - Jul. 26)
CHASE LONG BEACH (Aug. 7 - Aug. 15)
DEAL'S GONE BAD (Jul. 26 - Aug. 2)
DISCO CURTIS (Jul. 20 - Aug. 15)
ENTER SHIKARI (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
EVERY TIME I DIE (Jul. 2 - Aug. 15)
FLATFOOT 56 (Jul. 11 - Aug. 2)
HASTE THE DAY (Jul. 20 - Aug. 15)
INITIALS (Jul. 29 - Aug. 8)
I SEE STARS (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE (Jul. 20 - Aug. 15)
LAST CALL CHERNOBYL (Jun. 27 - Jul. 10)
MIDDLE FINGER SALUTE (Jul. 11 - Jul. 26)
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK (Jun. 24, Jun. 27 - Jul. 16)
POLAR BEAR CLUB (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
REEL BIG FISH (Jul. 13 - Aug. 15)
SPARKS THE RESCUE (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
SPEAKEASY TIGER (Jun. 27 - Jul. 6)
THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS (Jun. 24 - Jul. 18)
THE FRANTIC (Jun. 27 - Jul. 8, Jul. 31)
THE FLATLINERS (Jul. 9 - Jul. 18)
THE SNIPS (Jul. 9 - Jul. 10)
THE SWELLERS (Jun. 24 - Jul. 17)
THE WORD ALIVE (Jul. 20 - Aug. 15)
TIP THE VAN (Jul. 20 - Jul. 31)
WE THE KINGS (Jun. 26 - Aug. 2)

Vans Warped Tour 2010 dates:

Jun. 24 - San Diego, CA - Cricket Amphitheatre
Jun. 25 - Pomona, CA - Pomona Fairplex
Jun. 26 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
Jun. 27 - Ventura, CA - Seaside Park
Jun. 29 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion
Jun. 30 - Las Cruces, NM - N.M.S.U. Practice Field
Jul. 01 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
Jul. 02 - Houston, TX - The Showgrounds At Sam Houston Race Park
Jul. 03 - Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center
Jul. 05 - St.Louis, MO - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Jul. 06 - Indianapolis, IN - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Jul. 07 - Burgettstown, PA - Post Gazette Pavilion
Jul. 08 - Cleveland, OH - Time Warner Cable Amphitheatre
Jul. 09 - Toronto, ON - Arrow Hall
Jul. 10 - Montreal, QC - Parc Jean Drapeau
Jul. 11 - Hartford, CT - Comcast Theater
Jul. 13 - Mansfield, MA - Comcast Center
Jul. 14 - Darien Center, NY - Darien Lake P.A.C.
Jul. 15 - Scranton, PA - Toyota Pavilion
Jul. 16 - Camden, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Center
Jul. 17 - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Jul. 18 - Oceanport, NJ - Monmou - Park Racetrack
Jul. 20 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Jul. 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Jul. 22 - Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Jul. 23 - St. Petersburg, FL - Vinoy Park
Jul. 24 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Amphitheater
Jul. 25 - Orlando, FL - Central Florida Fairgrounds
Jul. 26 - Atlanta, GA - Lakewood Amphitheater
Jul. 28 - Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center
Jul. 29 - Milwaukee, WI - Marcus Amphitheater
Jul. 30 - Detroit, MI - Comerica Park
Jul. 31 - Tinley Park, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
Aug. 01 - Shakopee, MN - Canterbury Park
Aug. 02 - Bonner Springs, KS - Sandstone Amphitheatre
Aug. 05 - Calgary, AB - Race City Speedway
Aug. 07 - Salt Lake City, UT - Utah State Fairgrounds
Aug. 08 - Denver, CO - Invesco Field
Aug. 11 - Los Angeles, CA - Home Depot Center
Aug. 12 - Wheatland, CA - Sleep Train Amphitheatre
Aug. 13 - Nampa, ID - Idaho Center Amphitheatre
Aug. 14 - George, WA - Gorge Amphitheater
Aug. 15 - Hillsboro, OR - Washington County Fairgrounds
Adult film star Tera Patrick gave her porn star hubby Evan Seinfeld an ultimatum -- their marriage or his steamy screen career -- and he chose porn, she claims.
In her new memoir, "Sinner Takes All," Patrick recounts how she told Seinfeld, her husband of seven years, last summer that he had to give up starring in X-rated films if he wanted to stay married to her. (Patrick herself had not shot a new video since 2006.) After Seinfeld chose the flicks, the couple split in September.
Writes Patrick: "I said to Evan, 'I'm your wife, and that is the strongest bond two people should have, and that should come first. I've moved on from porn. And I want you to stop. You promised me you'd only do porn for a few years. Your few years are up.' "

Paul Emmans/startraksphoto.com
Tera Patrick
When Patrick met Seinfeld, he was an actor on HBO's "Oz" and a bass player in the heavy-metal band Biohazard -- and had yet to take on the adult film world.
"His take was this," Patrick relates. " 'I'm having a great time. I'm having my cake and I get to eat it, too.' "
Patrick, who starred in nearly 100 adult movies during her 10-year career, currently hosts a show on the Playboy TV channel, "School of Sex."
"My big point was this: Almost every couple in porn breaks up, and I didn't want to be another porn statistic," she says in the book. "I didn't want the porn curse to hit us. I've seen it happen to other couples. Doing porn as a husband and wife team is safe, but once one branches out to do people outside the marriage, that's when the trouble seems to set in."
After being rebuffed, Patrick fled from her home in Los Angeles to Las Vegas to stay with her mother. Of her divorce, she writes, "Though it was my choice, that doesn't mean I wasn't devastated. I so wanted him to tell me he would quit and put me first. But he didn't and that will forever hurt."
Florida-based death metallers CANNIBAL CORPSE have been confirmed for next year's installment of the Summer Breeze festival, set to take place August 19-21, 2010 in Dinkelsbühl, Germany.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

1349
AHAB
ANATHEMA
ASPHYX
BARREN EARTH
BEHEMOTH
CALLISTO
CANNIBAL CORPSE
CUMULO NIMBUS
DARK FUNERAL
DARK TRANQUILLITY
DESPISED ICON
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
DYING FETUS
EISBRECHER
EISREGEN
FIDDLER'S GREEN
FREI.WILD
FEUERSCHWANZ
HAIL OF BULLETS
HYPOCRISY
ILL NINO
INSOMNIUM
KORPIKLAANI
KYLESA
LEAVES' EYES
LETZTE INSTANZ
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
MAROON
MONO INC.
MY DYING BRIDE
NECROPHAGIST
OBITUARY
ORIGIN
ORPHANED LAND
POISONBLACK
REBELLION
SEPULTURA
SOLSTAFIR
SUBWAY TO SALLY
SWALLOW THE SUN
THE CROWN
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
TRACEDAWN
WAR FROM A HARLOTS MOUTH
WE BUTTER THE BREAD WITH BUTTER

For more information, go to this location.
SWALLOW THE SUN and WAR FROM A HARLOTS MOUTH have been confirmed for next year's installment of the Summer Breeze festival, set to take place August 19-21, 2010 in Dinkelsbühl, Germany.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

1349
AHAB
ANATHEMA
ASPHYX
BARREN EARTH
BEHEMOTH
CALLISTO
CUMULO NIMBUS
DARK FUNERAL
DARK TRANQUILLITY
DESPISED ICON
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
DYING FETUS
EISBRECHER
EISREGEN
FIDDLER'S GREEN
FREI.WILD
FEUERSCHWANZ
HAIL OF BULLETS
HYPOCRISY
ILL NINO
INSOMNIUM
KORPIKLAANI
KYLESA
LEAVES' EYES
LETZTE INSTANZ
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
MAROON
MONO INC.
MY DYING BRIDE
NECROPHAGIST
OBITUARY
ORIGIN
ORPHANED LAND
POISONBLACK
REBELLION
SEPULTURA
SOLSTAFIR
SUBWAY TO SALLY
SWALLOW THE SUN
THE CROWN
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
TRACEDAWN
WAR FROM A HARLOTS MOUTH
WE BUTTER THE BREAD WITH BUTTER

For more information, go to this location.
KAMPFAR has been confirmed for next year's edition of the Wacken Open Air festival, set to take place August 5-7, 2010 in Wacken, Germany.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

1349
ALICE COOPER
AMORPHIS
ARCH ENEMY
CALIBAN
CANNIBAL CORPSE
CORVUS CORAX
DESPISED ICON
DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
EDGUY
ENDSTILLE
GHOST BRIGADE
GRAVE DIGGER
IMMORTAL
IRON MAIDEN
KAMPFAR
MÖTLEY CRÜE
ORDEN OGAN
PRIMAL FEAR
SLAYER
STRATOVARIUS
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
U.D.O.
W.A.S.P.


Metal Sucks recently conducted an interview with guitarist Marko Tervonen of reunited Swedish death/thrash metallers THE CROWN. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Metal Sucks: Was [former THE CROWN vocalist] Johan Lindstrand approached to be a part of the reformation of THE CROWN? Does he support the new lineup?

Marko: He supports the new lineup. Actually when I talked to him about DOBERMANN, he asked me why we don't use the name THE CROWN, so he's cool with it.

Johan was asked to join us for the DOBERMANN ride, but he was too busy with his ONE MAN ARMY band. So we started looking for other options. And when we discovered that Jonas was the man, we at that time decided to use the name THE CROWN. We kind of discovered how much like THE CROWN everything sounded, so in the end it would have been plain silly to call it something else.

Metal Sucks: Please talk about DOBERMANN. I'm very curious about that band name, and how at first this wasn't being described as the return of THE CROWN. Was there ever an intention to record and tour as DOBERMANN?

Marko: In about 2005 Magnus [Osfelt, THE CROWN bassist] got contacted by Andreas "Whiplasher" Bergh about creating a hard thrash-act under the name DOBERMANN. While the music slowly was taking form, one after another the old CROWN musicians were being asked to help out. Finally the band consisted of all the old CROWN musicians + Whiplasher. As it turned out Whiplasher was too busy singing and fronting DEATHSTARS and so also the original name and idea of the band DOBERMANN was lost. Jonas Stålhammar (ex-UTUMNO, MACABRE END/GOD MACABRE, currently in BOMBS OF HADES) was asked and stepped in to be the new singer. After long hesitation we decided to pick up the name THE CROWN again.

Metal Sucks: Were there any issues with re-announcing this project as THE CROWN? Once you were set to announce that this is the new version of THE CROWN, did you four seek approval (so to speak) from Johan? Are you guys the sole owners of THE CROWN name?

Marko: We hesitated a lot. First we wanted to have a completely different name. But when the album started to take form, everything just sounded so CROWN. First we thought, "Well, maybe we should call us something CROWN-related after a song or album," until someone said "Fuck it, let's do this as THE CROWN". When we decided to go that way, it all just felt great. And scary too, to be honest… We're all determined to do this our way this time. No bullshit, just good death metal albums and shows.

Metal Sucks: Can you describe the brief tenure of Andreas Bergh? What part did he play in DOBERMANN becoming THE CROWN?

Marko: Since the name "DOBERMANN" was Andreas' idea, it felt natural to change it after his departure. So I guess if Andreas would have stayed, we would have never considered the "return." Well, you never know…He managed to contribute with some lyrics to one song.

Metal Sucks: What has changed musically for the members of THE CROWN? Each record came with a slightly different tint, be it a rock n' roll attitude, savagely heavy melodic death-thrash, or horror movie theatrics; what can we expect for the next album?

Marko: This album must have the best collection of riffs that has ever been on a CROWN album. It's really intense and pretty catchy at the same time. For me this sounds like the bastard son of "Deathrace King" and "Possessed 13". We have strong songs and the performance has been tweaked up a few notches. I really must mention Janne's effort on this album, it's by far his best performance. It's really incredible that after a few years of "resting," he comes back and plays everything better, faster and more accurately. Plus that he decided to learn all the songs switching his right and left hands…It's insane…he's a monster!


German death metallers DISBELIEF have tapped session guitarist Alex Hagenauer (SOUL DEMISE) for their upcoming "Hell Goes On Tour 2010" with LAY DOWN ROTTEN and GORILLA MONSOON.

For a list of dates, see the poster below.

DISBELIEF's latest album, "Protected Hell", was released on April 17 via Massacre Records. The LP, which was recorded at MX studio in Buchen, Germany with producer Michael Mainx, was made available as a limited-edition digipack and regular jewel case CD.

DISBELIEF's previous CD, "Navigator", was released in February 2007 via Massacre Records.

Andrew L. Wang of Chicago Breaking News reports that Chicago's White Star club has canceled an appearance this weekend of death-metal band EVIL INCARNATE because gay-rights activists threatened to protest over homophobic lyrics in one of its songs.

EVIL INCARNATE (MySpace page) was among a dozen bands set to play for the End of Days festival Saturday night (December 19) at White Star. But the bill was one band lighter after the Gay Liberation Network took issue with the lyrics of the song, which describe the bombing of gays and African-Americans.

"We're not pleased if a band simply says they hate us," Andy Thayer, co-founder of the gay-rights group, told Chicago Breaking News, "but when you call for murdering people, that really crosses the line and that isn't free speech."


------------------------------------

For MetalHeads Who Want To Have there say!
Long Live The Power Of METAL!!!
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeavyMetalHeaven/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeavyMetalHeaven/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
HeavyMetalHeaven-digest@yahoogroups.com
HeavyMetalHeaven-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
HeavyMetalHeaven-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment