Sunday, March 14, 2010

[HeavyMetalHeaven] Led Zeppelin, Metal Hammer Magazine Tribute CDs, Guns N Roses, Megadeth, Tim Ripper Owens, Scorpions, Ratt, Phil Anselmo, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

Jonathan Barnes of Evening Star reports: It was a concert that has gone down in Suffolk music legend — the night one of the biggest rock bands in the world played at a converted swimming pool.

But there are no official recordings of LED ZEPPELIN 's gig at St Matthews Baths Hall in Ipswich in November 1971; only a handful of patched-together recordings from a small band of bootleggers.

So rock fan Vic Kemp could not believe his luck when he found a CD at a car boot sale featuring a recording of the whole concert.

"I was going through a stand of CDs at the car boot at Portman Road and the guy who was selling them said 'you might be interested in this,'" he said.

To celebrate the 30th anniversaries of AC/DC 's classic "Back In Black" album and the 40th anniversary of BLACK SABBATH's inception, U.K.'s Metal Hammer is lining up some "ultra-awesome" tribute albums to be given away with future copies of the magazine.

STEEL PANTHER and SKINDRED ("Back In Black") have been confirmed for Metal Hammer's AC/DC album, which will include the best of both the Bon Scott and the Brian Johnson eras.

TRIGGER THE BLOODSHED and WHITE WIZZARD are already scheduled for the re-creation of JUDAS PRIEST's legendary "British Steel", with TRIGGER doing "Rapid Fire".

As for the BLACK SABBATH album, TURISAS, ELECTRIC WIZARD and APOCALYPTICA are recording versions for Metal Hammer — with APOCALYPTICA covering the classic track "Spiral Architect". Other rumored acts for the SABBATH CD include PRONG, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY and ORANGE GOBLIN.

Slash heard the reports about his former bandmate Axl Rose banning fans wearing Slash-related T-shirts and top hats from the current Guns N' Roses tour but he's not sure he believes it.
"I give him the benefit of the doubt," the 44-year-old former GNR guitarist told QMI Agency Friday while taking a break from his duties at Canadian Music Week.
"I hate to think someone would be that petty, so it might be more of a rumour.
"There is a little bit of infighting between fans now, too. There's like Guns fans who support the Axl thing and then there's Guns fans who support the Slash thing. And God knows where it originated.
"We (Slash and Rose) obviously haven't actually sat together and talked so there's definitely some bad blood there but at the same time it's been, you know, 15 years and I don't like to perpetuate the negative stuff because I don't really have the kind of harsh feelings for him that the media exaggerates."
Slash's debut solo album, Slash, featuring him performing with various singers including rock legends Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop, is due April 6.
Then later that month he'll head out on the road with a touring band that will include Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge) on vocals; Bobby Schneck (Weezer, Green Day) on rhythm guitar; Dave Henning (Doug Pinnick, Big Wreck) on bass; and Brent Fitz (Alice Cooper, Vince Neil) on drums.
'Chinese Democracy' sounds just as Slash expected
The sound of Guns N' Roses' long-awaited release, Chinese Democracy, released after a near 15-year wait, didn't surprise former GNR guitarist Slash. At all.
"I thought it was exactly what I thought it would sound like," he said.
"It was very indicative of what I thought he would do. So it was absolutely no surprise. 'Cause we had sort of like the Guns N' Roses sound, which was just a straight-ahead rock band, and along the way Axl started to get very sort of techno, or had a lot of techno influences. And when I say that I mean like synthesizers and a lot of digital influence. And of course we sort of kept an old-school approach, and I think besides everything else musically, we sort of went off in different directions. And this record of
Axl's is definitely very digital and very Pro-Tool and very synthesized — whatever sounds are augmented by outside sources."
Slash actually still was in GNR when the concept for Chinese Democracy was in its infancy stage but he said, "We didn't really do all that much."


According to the New York Post, an A-list crowd of Brazilian billionaires and supermodels rioted at 3 a.m. yesterday after waiting hours for GUNS N' ROSES to perform, and then learning Axl Rose and his band wouldn't play. The exclusive concert in a Sao Paulo club was hosted by Ana Beatriz Barros and fellow lingerie models. "The audience got angry and started to mount the stage, and fight and destroy everything," a source cited by the New York Post source said. "It was wild. There were fights everywhere, on the dance floor, in the bathrooms, outside the club. Crazy. I guess the free drinks didn't help."

Joseph Hudak of The Times Leader recently conducted an interview with MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On his return to MEGADETH:

"This is the beginning, the starting of the next chapter. (The reunion) couldn't have happened at a better time. And none of us planned it or put it together this way, which gives me goose bumps. It makes all of us happy to be here."

"If there was ever a time to reinvestigate coming back, this was it. 'Rust in Peace' [the classic MEGADETH album which is being played in its entirety on the band's current tour in celebration of its 20th anniversary] which is being is a musically progressive record, and it's got my stamp all over it."

"Dave [Mustaine, MEGADETH mainman] said, 'I'd love to have you back, if you want to be here. The door's open; let's saddle up and go.' So I threw a bass in my car and called my wife, who said, 'Go! You should be in MEGADETH.' She always knew that not being in MEGADETH was an unresolved issue in my life. It was an unresolved issue with the fans, and probably an unresolved issue with Dave, too. So coming back and doing this, it's what it's supposed to be."

"It's a great feeling to play 'Peace Sells' every night. If you're a metalhead, that is the soundtrack to your life in some way. To be the guy to have played that [signature bass] line and then have it become so pronounced in mainstream culture because of MTV, it's cool."

"Dave asked, 'Are you in?' I said, 'Yeah,' and he gave me a big hug and said, 'Good, play on a new track!' It was a great on-ramp back onto the MEGADETH freeway."

On MEGADETH's upcoming series of festival shows in Europe with METALLICA, ANTHRAX and SLAYER, the "Big Four" of thrash metal.

"This shows that thrash is not going away. By all of us locking arms and joining into this brigade together, it's a testimony to how huge this movement has become. It's something we've created, something that is uniquely ours to have forever. We've lived to tell about it."

Following the Tim "Ripper" Owens (CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED, HAIL!, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) solo show at the Crazy Mama Pub in Budapest on March 5th, Hungary's here" target="_blank">Hard Rock Magazin spoke to the singer about a number of topics. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

Hard Rock Magazin: Do you have any plan in the future about making a special show like this again, somewhere in the world?

Owens: "I do these kind of shows a lot. A little different from this, but I get a band behind me and play. I've spent seven weeks in South America like that. So, you know it's fun to do when a promoter contacts me to come somewhere. It's always interesting, I like it."

Hard Rock Magazin: There were two Priest albums, two Iced Earth albums, will there be only two Malmsteen albums too?

Owens: "Well, I don't know. It's a different situation, but nowadays I have more possibilities to do my own stuff. I can do much more other stuff."

Hard Rock Magazin: People say that Malmsteen is a man, who is hard to handle. What do you think about it?

Owens: "Well, I know him for a couple of years now, and our relationship is great. But that's my experiences. He is one of the easiest person, I've ever worked with in the studio. It's great. He says „awesome", if I do what he wants me to do, it's great."

Hard Rock Magazin: How can you describe your last 15-20 years?

Owens: "It was great. I've appeared on awesome records, I met a lot of people, and they helped me a lot. For example they said to join Iced Earth, and I did it, it was great. We had a great time, we had great albums, for example Gattysburg is amazing! I look over my past 15 years, and I can see lot of good things since 1996. I want to continue my carrier as long as I can. When the Priest era was over, I had the Iced Earth. When it was over, I started to work with my solo stuff and Beyond Fear. I'm a very lucky person."

RATT first came on the scene in the early eighties and wasted no time carving their own niche into Los Angeles' highly competitive music scene. Even to this day, the band's name and musical legacy remain ingrained in the fabric of the Sunset Strip's most notorious era. The members of this extraordinary band are living proof that some people listen to rock n' roll and some have it coursing through their veins. Such is the case with legendary drummer Bobby Blotzer. Celebrating his 28th year in RATT, Blotzer has provided the crushing backbeat to the band's biggest hits and shows no signs of slowing down. As the band prepares to unleash it's 7th studio album, 'Infestation,' Jason Price of Icon Vs. Icon sat down with the infamous drummer to discuss the new album, his thoughts on the band's longevity, his autobiography 'Tales of a RATT: Things You Shouldn't Know' and much more!

Seeing how RATT has been together now for over two decades, what do you attribute to the longevity of the band?

Great, catchy hit songs played well. Definitely well crafted, catchy, hook heavy songs. That's the key.

The new cd is getting ready to come out, it's the first CD in eleven years, what initially brought you all back together to hit the studio?

Well, we were back together touring and we had been talking about a way to do a record. Tom Lipsky, the President of Loud and Proud, that's his own label, I guess they were merging with Roadrunner. He saw us at the House of Blues show, we had a great show, he loved it and said "You guys need to record. You guys have way too many great songs, I don't know what you're into now but I'd love to hear it and I'd love to offer you a record deal." Then that took about a year and a half to consummate.

Going into it did you have any reservations about tackling a new album with RATT?

No, not really. I mean personally I have a lot of songs that I write, and everybody else probably had some of their own. By the time we got into writing as a band there was a lot of stuff and the producer just took what we were going to work on, out of a big pool. I wrote seven songs for the record and I ended up with two on the record, and everybody just kind of put in their "best of" you know?

This is the first time you have recorded outside of Los Angeles, how did that come about?

Our producers got a studio over in Virginia Beach right on the beach itself, he wanted us to do it there because it's an account for the studio and he's used to the studio. It's pretty much removed from the city itself which I liked, it's out on this peninsula island. It's a white sand beach, beautiful water and the tracking room had a big double slider on it so you could see the white sand and water. It was inspiring, very relaxing and we were all staying at this home. He had like 6 rooms with tv and phone in each, it was almost like 6 little hotel rooms inside that house that he built the studio addition onto. So it was fun, we'd get up first thing and have our coffee and start rolling. By one o'clock we'd be rollin tape and we'd record till about eight or nine at night and then we'd start barbecuing. It was pretty bitchin' actually! [laughs]

What was the biggest challenge in putting the record together?

The biggest challenge, in my opinion, was getting on the same page as Stephen (Pearcy), Warren (DeMartini) and Bobby (Crane) business-wise. That would be the biggest challenge.

Do you have a typical song writing process that you go about? I know you said you write separately, but how does that come together?

Well I would like to see it in a different way, because there's not enough getting together and writing together. I would say that's not because of me because I like to collaborate. We collaborate when everybody's stuff is brought into the studio and we're rearranging and tightening it up. It's not a situation of "Hey Warren you wanna come over for a couple days and we'll write a couple songs and then I'll come over to your place?" He and Stephen did that for a little bit but I don't know how great that went. But the record is great! And I don't know, whatever we do as dysfunctional as it is, we always come up with good shit! [laughs] It's the RATT way you know?

So starting out, you accomplished what you were looking for with this record then?

Yes. That and more. Yes, I was very pleased. Because you never know, with Stephen it's not like we write the songs and work them up and rehearse them as a full song. We know what the choruses are, we don't know what he's doing until he gets in there. He'll be down there writing melodies and lyrics and stuff while we're working the songs up so you never really know what's going on.

Obviously you've been involved with the record from day one, but where do you think this stacks up against your previous releases with RATT?

I definitely think it's in the same ballpark as "Out of the Cellar" and "Invasion" (Invasion of Your Privacy), I'd put it in between those two records. This is a good thing. I'm definitely not one to tell people "Oh, this is the best thing ever." if it's not great. I'm not going to just hype it up. I'll do interviews for it, like the last one that we did. I liked that record. Do I think it was a great RATT record? No, I didn't think it was a great RATT record. I thought there were a handful of really good songs, and I just think that Stephen's heart wasn't into that record and I wasn't crazy about the production and the way it went. Although I like Richie Zito, there were just too many things thrown into that thing. John Kalodner making us write sixty fucking songs, it was just too much. It took too long for the process, by the time we finally got into the studio everybody was just like "Let's get this fucking thing
done." [laughs]

Now you brought in Carlos Cavazo for this record, what did he bring into the mix, in your opinion?

Well he's real easy to work with, it's like he just wants to learn. It's like he is Switzerland. Rob is Canada. Me, Stephen and Warren are Russia, Germany and Korea. I don't know. [laughs] It helps to keep things going in a metal way. Carlos had a couple of song ideas that ended up on the record. The first one, "Best of Me" is now a single. He's very open minded, that's what I like about him and Robbie in general.

What can we expect from RATT in regards to your tour plans?

We're touring, we've got a bunch of shows going all through April and a bunch in May that are kind of fly-out stuff. Then, June 8th we leave for Europe for six weeks. Playin all these huge festivals all over the place over there. We'll come back here and there's a big tour coming out. Actually I'm sitting here talking to you and I'm hearing "Click, click", it's e-mails coming in and I'm waiting for news of the announcement of this tour that we're going to be doing starting in July and into August. It's going to be a big tour. And I just got this announcement! I can let you in on, the Scorpions are who we're going to be touring with this year.

Is that going to be a U.S. tour?

Yes, a U.S. tour later with the Scorpions. But anyhow, once we go through summer here and Europe and then back here we're going to go through South America, Australia, Japan and Canada.

Looking back what do you feel your defining moment as a musician has been, with RATT or in general?

My defining moment would obviously be when RATT and I as a band had a platinum success. That defines where everyone wants to go as a musician, everybody wants to be a success, a platinum artist and headline arenas. I dreamed about it my whole life, and really, while I dreamt about it, I just never believed really that it could happen. I started playing in arenas before I was in RATT with a band called Vic Vergat when we were on tour with Nazareth in 1981, so I had a little taste of playing arenas. When I joined RATT I was like "Wow, I wonder if this band could ever get to that level?" because you know we had some good songs and were still sluggin' it out on The Strip. We started getting more popular then, once we started selling out multiple nights in clubs, there was something clicking there. There was something clicking here and the metal movement was really gathering steam and the snowball was growing. July 27th of '83 we got signed to
Atlantic, we were in the studio in September, the record was out in February and by summer we were headlining arenas. So it was absolutely amazing. We were already touring and watching "Out of the Cellar" climb and getting popular in every state. That was great to be a local band from LA and get out of your local surroundings and be known name by name for each member of the band, and loved by fans. That's an unbelievable feeling. And so the defining moment is obviously accomplishing that and to keep this going. Tomorrow (March 11th) I celebrate my 28th year for my anniversary of joining RATT. So at this point it's like a life sentence! [laughs]

You've seen the music industry change so much, what advice would you give someone who wants to get into music like you have?

My advice would be to make sure you go to college and have a college degree and have a back up plan. There are so many great musicians that are never going to make it. I've known several along the way that were great and I'd watch them slowly, one by one, fall off, you know? It is usually a case of "I've got my job and I've got my kids." They give up at some point. I understand that, they might play in a jam band or something, just to play, but their aspirations of being fed by their craft they disappear when they get older. Basically because they have a mortgage, children and a wife. My son Michael is a drummer, and he's an excellent drummer, he's been trying to get his break. He's been playing since he was ten. Right now, he drum techs for me out on the road and he gets paid really well for it. He gets to be out on the road. I would like nothing more than to see Michael see his dream come to fruition, and he's not giving it up, but
it's like I'm hearing from him what I've heard from other friends that are right around the same age. It's like "Fuck it!" at some point man. You get discouraged, you gotta make money and all of that shit, you know what I mean? All that kind of sucks.

You know I'm really drawn to the show "American Idol", I've watched every season, every show. Because I am emotionally attached so much to every person that's on that show, good or bad, and their strive to make it. It is that this one giant brass ring that they've got their hand on and they are really trying to get their other hand on it. That show in happiness and sadness moves me, it wells my eyes up sometimes because I get so happy for them and I feel so sad for them. To see all that talent and see that emotion in them, it's real. That's fuckin the real deal. I've had so many arguments with people that roll their eyes at it or talk about it like it's some fuckin gumball show. I'm like "You don't really get it man. You see that dude? That's you, and that's your brother, that's all of us right there that are just aspiring to be something in their life." That's going for the holy grail, some of them are gettin it and
some of them aren't. You get to live that be watching them on television, going from nothing to be seen every week and maybe gettin canned but yet some go on to super star global status that's just out of this world. I just wish everybody, so much luck in hitting their dreams, I really do.

In getting back to the music real quick, you said you'd written seven songs for 'Infestation' and two appear on the album. What is the fate of that other material, would you be using it for other projects in the future?

I am. I'm going to come back after this tour and do a solo record. I acquired www.bobbyblotzer.com, which had been taken for years by somebody who was always trying to get me to buy from them. I'm like "No look person whoever you are, I am not going to give you a nickle and buy my own site." It came up and I snagged it, I'm using it to advertise. I have a book that I'm going to be selling and collectibles for fans: sticks and signed drum heads. I'm going to start putting music out through it, cds and stuff. That's my next move. I'd like to do another Saints of the Underground record with my friends Keri Kelly and Jani Lane. We had a great record a year and a half ago, we sold about six thousand records but we never got to play it live and I'd like to do another project because those guys are great players.

Let's talk a little bit about your autobiography. How did that come about, what's it called and what can you tell us?

It's called "Tales of a RATT" and the subtitle is 'Things You Shouldn't Know", that's just kind of a tongue in cheek thing to get someone's attention really. It's a fun book, I just want to tell my life story up till now and so many friends of mine love hearing stories. Road stories and things like that, so many people have told me "You should write a book." and I never had the balls to do it. In 2008 I started writing a couple chapters and I got in touch with a guy named Jim Clayton who helped me hone it in. He's a writer, as I am not a writer and don't have any journalistic background. I can write lyrics and such but writing a story to me is different. Obviously people go to college to learn how to do that and I've never taken any courses like that. He was able to take my stories and my words in the way I wrote them and dictated them and add some color of the respected time period I was talking about and kind of give it a
twist from that time, mentioning a politic, something that would put you back in the time period I was talking about. It involves me and a lot of my famous friends and people we hung out with, things we used to do, where we'd go and how we'd party. It's definitely not like a Nikki Sixx "bummer book," although there are some instances…of course you know the death of Robbin Crosby has to be discussed and I touched on that. I definitely didn't use anybody's personal things to enhance this book, it's just really the true stories without anybody's embarrassment and hammering. I'm not gonna roll that way. It's not an Enquirer Magazine type of book.

So nobody has anything to worry about right now?

I don't think so! [laughs] There were people that were in my life that were integral, that I had to include, but it's nothing that's too scandalous, well, we'll see. [laughs] I mean, everyone that has read the book really loves it, so, we'll see. [laughs] And we'll be taking pre-orders starting Monday (March 15th) on www.bobbyblotzer.com and it'll be shipped the day the record ships, which is April 20th.

Is there anything else you'd like to talk about or anything you'd like to say to your fans before we wrap this up?

I always appreciate meeting everyone out there and everybody buying the records and the tickets and coming out and supporting the band. Because we would definitely be nowhere without you guys. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. And I just got this announcement that I can let you in on, the Scorpions are who we're going to be touring with this year.

- -

Be sure to swing by Bobby Blotzer's official site, www.bobbyblotzer.com, for all the latest news and to order his new book 'Tales of a RATT: Things You Shouldn't Know."

Visit RATT's official site at www.therattpack.com.

Hardrock Haven: For the past week I've been digesting Infestation and from the very first cut it put a smile on my face, I felt like I just ran into an old friend. How's it feel to be back with a new Ratt disc after more than a decade?

Warren DeMartini: Its feels great! It's really wonderful, and feels just like the bases are loaded again. We are very happy with how it turned out and we've had great encouragement from the folks at Roadrunner Records and our management.

Hardrock Haven: Did you do much recording or solo projects outside of Ratt the past 10 years?

Warren DeMartini: You know, not really. I've enjoyed the ride with Ratt and I've been very fortunate to be able to channel all my work through the band so it hasn't been necessary.

Hardrock Haven: I would imagine with the advances in technology over the past 10 years not to mention the bands experience and maturity were positives for recording Infestation.

Warren DeMartini: It was very comfortable and very cool. We enjoyed the advances in recording technology and our production team were just the best. We really enjoyed the time savings that digital recording afforded us. I mean we were able to knock out things in a week that used to take three weeks. We went into the studio with only one rule, we wanted our stuff to sound as authentic and real as possible. We had no time limits or restrictions other than that one rule because we wanted our stuff to be alive and filled with energy. We didn't want to put out some sterile stuff to save time. I mean, we used to record on tape and I remember cutting and pasting this reel-to-reel tape and it took forever. Today it's much more efficient and cost effective. As for our recording process we recorded all the tracks live in the studio. Two guitars, bass and drums, all of us in the room playing together. We wanted it to be very natural a sort of "what you hear
on the record is what you get live."

Hardrock Haven: I know Ratt's been together with your current crew for the past couple years; how's the chemistry between you and your friends, both old and new, in the band?

Warren DeMartini: It's firing on all pistons. Carlos Cavazo's (formerly with Quiet Riot) has been with us for a year and his playing really allows that allows the guitar players to play double leads and that's something I am looking forward to doing live . We've really become a double lead guitar and it's gonna be a blast play live.

Hardrock Haven:: What's the stand-out feature for your, of your soon-to-be-released disc Infestation?

Warren DeMartini: On Infestation we really merged all the sonic capabilities that a band like Ratt has. We're very much a live band and we want to capture the elements and emotion of what a unique band we are. When I hear the disc I hear a great blend of guitars that you don't just hear everyday.

Hardrock Haven: Do you stay in touch with your old friend Jake E. Lee?

Warren DeMartini: I do! I saw Jake bout three months ago, Ratt was doing a show in Vegas and Jake made an appearance. We had a great time and stayed out way too late telling stories. It was great to see him and he is doing great! He's always been a solid guy. For example, when I replaced him in Ratt he let me stay at his place so we ended up darn near being room mates. I have to laugh when I think back to me sitting around playing with chords that would eventually become "Round and Round" while Jake would noodle around on the guitar playing riffs that would become "Bark At The Moon."

Hardrock Haven: After establishing yourself with Ratt, what was it like moving onto Whitesnake for a couple albums?

Warren DeMartini: In 1991 Ratt broke up so in 1994 when Whitesnake was on tour and I got the invite to play and it was just perfect for me. I love to travel and Whitesnake would be playing a lot of locations around the world that Ratt hadn't played. I had a great time working with Whitesnake and of course, since they are a very blues based band my guitar playing fit right in. Working with David Coverdale also opened my eyes to the fact that a rock 'n' roll tour could be very organized and professionally managed.

Hardrock Haven: How would you say Infestation stacks up in comparison to Ratt's earlier work?

Warren DeMartini: Again, we went into the studio with only one rule, that being try to play it in the studio like we'd play it live. We were looking for energy. Out of the Cellar is a very different kind of album than Infestation is. On Out Of The Cellar we laid the tracks down quickly hoping that we'd get a great take and we didn't spend a lot of time in the studio. On later albums we took a lot more time in the studio and experimented with sounds and recording but that's an entirely different animal. Overall I think Infestation is a great record with tons of energy.

Hardrock Haven: Ratt always had a reputation as a "breeding ground" for great guitar players. Clearly nothing has changed as Infestation is rich with incredibly tone filled rock guitar fireworks. What's your current choice for guitars?

Warren DeMartini: Guitar wise I played a couple Charvels and a couple performance guitars. On one song called "As Good As it Gets" I played a few overdubs with a Gretsch Nashville. Pretty much all of the album is recorded with Charvels plugged straight into the heads of my very reliable Soldano amps. For effects I toss it a little touch of Univibe on a few tunes. I really love my Soldano amps because they have a great sound, they are rugged and can stand up to the beating they take on the road, plus they are very consistent in sound.

Hardrock Haven: Do you collect vintage guitars or amps?

Warren DeMartini: I do have one 1958 Fender Stratocaster that I purchased back in 1986. It's a real pleasure to play and own. But no, I'm not really a collector and don't have a big vintage collection.

Hardrock Haven: I understand that playing the guitar comes relatively easy for you? Is that true and if so what do you chalk that up to? Do you practice playing at all?

Warren DeMartini: I do practice all the time. Once I got over the cliff of learning things playing got easier and easier. But no, it wasn't like I was automatic. I failed on guitar a couple times over they years as I tried to take up the instrument. I remember wanting to play since as early as six or seven years old but I didn't think I could. I tried it a few years later and it was still alien to me and I just wasn't getting it. A few years later, I was involved in an accident and was bed ridden for a month and a friend brought over a guitar to help me while away the time. Thats when I started to figure it out. But yes, I do play all the time I think it's fun to do and I'd be doing it as a hobby if I wasn't doing it professionally.

Hardrock Haven: I would assume with a new album out a Ratt tour must certainly be in the works. Any news or details on any tours?

Warren DeMartini: We are indeed going on tour starting in Europe in June. We're doing festival gigs, special appearances and headlining shows all over the continent. Now, nothing has been firmed up but I would anticipate that there will be a US tour sometime in the late summer or fall.

Hardrock Haven: Warren, hey man, thanks for your time is there anything you'd like to chat about or pass onto our readers?

Warren DeMartini: Well thanks for interviewing me, I hope everyone will go out and grab a copy of Infestation when it's released on April 20th and as said by the late great Frank Zappa, "Music is the best!"


"I'm bursting at the seams here! There are so many films that I want to share," laughs Philip Anselmo from his New Orleans home.

He's not kidding either.

The voice of Pantera, Down, Superjoint Ritual, Arson Anthem and more, as well as founder of House Core Records (http://www.thehousecorerecords.com), is the closest thing that heavy metal, scratch that, music, has to a true "horror historian." His encyclopedic knowledge of horror films and culture is inspiring, and he WILL turn you on to some amazing horror films. That's why we're proud to announce that Phillip will be gracing us with a column highlighting one of his favorite horror films on a monthly basis. Phillip's going to share why he digs the film he chose, when he saw it and, most importantly, why you NEED to see it.

Right now, Philip's hard at work on all things House Core Records. The label has a phenomenal slate of new artists with releases in the works—Arson Anthem, haarp, Warbeast and more—you NEED to check all of them out as well!

He goes on, "I'm looking at probably 5500 box copy cassettes, all original box copies right in front of my eyes right now. There are probably 3000 DVDs over there in the corner, and this is one room [Laughs]."

Bloody-Disgusting.com is proud to announce that Phillip is going to be doing this column, and we're all excited to learn about new flicks through metal's greatest vocalist.

For now, in no particular order, Philip shared a few picks with Bloody-Disgusting.com contributor and Dolor author Rick Florino (www.bookofdolor.com) in this exclusive interview. Check them out below and be on the lookout for the first installment of his column soon!

1. The Spiral Staircase


This morning, I watched The Spiral Staircase with Elsa Lanchester and a bunch of old greats—too many to even think of [Laughs]. I love old black and white films.

2. Evil Dead


Growing up in the days of the slasher films and the gore films, Evil Dead, which I know now was a fluke, has to be one of the best flukes in the history of film. I adore that record, just kidding, movie [Laughs]. I say "record" because it was like Slayer's Hell Awaits. It's like they were one and the same. It's not like Hell Awaits was a concept record based around Evil Dead, but the continuity was there within groin, you know what I'm saying? [Laughs] It all made sense. There were visuals there. Evil Dead was a hallmark film in my life.

3. The Old Dark House


The Old Dark House was also a hallmark film for me with Charles Laughton and Melvyn Douglas, not to mention Boris Karloff playing Morgan. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, that was Karloff's very next role after he'd done the original Frankenstein. That movie was fantastic.

4. The Tombs of the Blind Dead


Recently, I've rediscovered The Tombs of the Blind Dead films. It took me a long time to get into those movies because I guess I missed them the first go-around. It's not Italian; it's a Spanish production. The first two are great. The Ghost Galleon is fair.

5. House By the Cemetary


At the time of Tombs of the Blind Dead, I was really into Lucio Fulci and what he was doing with the absurd, almost nonsensical scripts, but the over-the-top gore. Case in point would be House By the Cemetary. You don't really know what the hell is going on or what he's trying to really say, but there's such a cool feel to the movie and a cool atmosphere that it doesn't matter. Fulci was doing bizarre, really colorful, really interesting to look at films that packed a lot more wallop. Argento might be perhaps more visual. It depends on what you're looking for.

6. Zombi


This is fucking brilliant. It's one of the better zombie films out there—hardcore with gore. There are so many sub genre movies like that which are just over the fucking top man. I'm looking at my wall right now. I could go down a list that's endless [Laughs].

7. Don't Go in the House


I remember seeing Don't Go in the House in the theater. That was a fucking mindblower—very Psycho-themed. In a time where slasher films were very big, this was not a slasher film. The guy burns people to death; he's some sort of necro-arsonist. It's a really fucking intense film. The soundtrack is absolutely great, nothing good happens and it just keeps getting worse [Laughs]. I love shit like that, man.

8. House with the Laughing Windows


One film that pops into my mind that not a lot of people have seen would be House with the Laughing Windows. It's a fucking great movie—bizarre and fantastic.

9. Don't Look Now


Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland is great!

10. Horror Hotel


They just released Horror Hotel under a new title—City of the Dead. Horror Hotel is a fantastic movie with Christopher Lee. There's a great atmosphere—sexy little girl in the movie. The re-release has a lot of unreleased footage that is fantastic. To see this film in its entirety is great.

11. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage


I'm back and forth with Dario Argento. I do like Bird with the Crystal Plumage. I think that's a fine film.

Jessica M. Alexander of Spinner recently conducted an interview with drummer Michel "Away" Langevin of Canadian metal innovators VOIVOD. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Spinner: Describe your sound in your own words.

Michel: It's a mixture of prog/punk/metal with a sci-fi edge...Prog rock has been popular in Quebec where we are from and it has had a strong impact on the band; we are huge RUSH fans! But in general we are all fans of various forms of rock.

Spinner: What's your musical guilty pleasure?

Michel: BOSTON. We just have great memories of being teenagers and hearing BOSTON at the circus and carnivals that came to town, along with STYX and QUEEN. We don't necessarily brag about liking those bands, but we love listening to them.

Spinner: What's the craziest thing you've seen or experienced while on tour?

Michel: While on tour with PRO-PAIN in 1996, Piggy and I saw some UFOs in Buffalo! Trust me, no one believed us, and even to this day, I think that is still true. Basically, we were hanging out in the parking lot with some fans after a show and looking out on the city. Suddenly, we saw 6 transparent spheres that were half-glowing and dancing around in the sky. The whole scene looked very choreographed and the spheres split in literally a second! We ran to tell the rest of the band but they took one look at us with a bottle of Jager in our hands and figured we were just drunk! Piggy and I basically talked about it every day on that tour and after a while I think the guys started believing that we hadn't made up the whole story...I have even heard of other people online having the exact same experience!

Spinner: What is your "normal" band setup? Does it change when you go on tour?

Michel: The set up is pretty minimal: four-piece drumkit, bass, guitar and vocal. Usually the guys like to have two cabinets but due to stage restrictions, that isn't always possible. The drumset is small compared to what a lot of other metal bands are doing, or even what I use to do back in the 80's. When we tour in Japan, we always get a lot of comments as to how we produce as much sound as we do with such a small setup.

Spinner: What makes you get out of bed first thing in the morning?

Michel: Graphic work and deadlines! I do artwork for many other bands; anything from t-shirt designs, CD covers, stickers, tattoo designs, book covers...I love the fact I can split my days doing half graphic design and the other half music I love!

Spinner: Anything else you feel the world should know?

Michel: We're back!!! We will be playing two shows in Russia in April, which we are excited about as this is our first time to Russia. We will also be doing the Wacken festival in Wacken, Germany after that — we are always well-received there! As far as recording goes, we might get back to that, but with Piggy gone, it's been hard. Right now we just want to play!


The reunited original ELECTRIC BOYS lineup — Franco Santunione (guitar), Andy Christell (bass), Niklas Sigevall (drums) and Conny Bloom (guitar, vocals) — will perform its new album in its entirety before it is released on Sunday, March 21 at Rival in Stockholm, Sweden.

A sample of some of the demo tracks (recorded at Future Legends Studios) that will appear on the forthcoming CD can be heard in the YouTube clip below. The band says, "[the album] will contain stuff that both sounds familiar but also stuff that doesn't."

ELECTRIC BOYS last year released a 20-track "best-of" collection, titled "Now Dig This!", via Spinefarm Records. It features songs from the band's three studio albums, including "Psychedelic Eyes", "Mary In The Mystery World", "Groovus Maximus", "The Groover", "Rags To Riches", "Captain Of My Soul" plus a 2009 remix of "All Lips N' Hips", along of course with the original version, a longstanding staple of rock clubs around the world.

Formed in 1988, ELECTRIC BOYS achieved recognition around the known rock'n'roll world with signature hit single "All Lips N' Hips" plus a series of albums that tapped into the very essence of long-haired, leather-trousered, late-night cool.

Touring alongside bands such as THUNDER and MR. BIG, and drinking from the same well as rock legends like AEROSMITH, the band offered an alternative to the late '80s hair-metal scene, fusing hard rock and heavy funk to create an instantly recognizable style ("Groovus Maximus") built riff by riff on the sturdiest possible foundations, unswervingly provided by drummer Niklas Sigevall.

Lauded by the media, feted by the industry, respected by the top producers of the day (including Bob Rock) and supported by a genuinely international fanbase, the ELECTRIC BOYS — led into action by flamboyant frontman Conny Bloom, who has continued to play and record both under his own name and with SILVER GINGER 5 and HANOI ROCKS, as well as appearing in TV ads for Jameson Whiskey — consistently showed that the great rock'n'roll dream was available in many colours, and that the sitar did indeed have a serious part to play!

FATES WARNING/SLAVIOR drummer Mark Zonder has issued the following update:

"There are some cool things happening for me this year.

"As many of you know, I'm going back on the road with FATES WARNING for select dates in the U.S. and Europe starting this month.

"I'd like to thank all of you for your support of the band and me over the years. It's your love of the music that has kept FATES going for almost 30 years and it's reason why we can rock these great gigs this spring and summer.

"On the recording front, there is some new SLAVIOR material in the works for our second album, which will be finished by the fall.

"I've also re-launched my website — MarkZonder.com — with a new look and some new features, including a Facebook news feed from my new Facebook musician page. On this page you can find my music, discography, tour dates, news updates, photos and video.

"Speaking of videos, I've set up a YouTube channel where you can see instructional clips from my clinics, music videos and SLAVIOR live performance videos.

"MarkZonder.com also features information about my recording studio and how you can hire me to play on your album or song. It's an easy, professional and affordable way for you to get big sounding drum parts on your project no matter if it's pop or prog rock.

"I hope you'll check out my new web site and sign up on my new social networking pages to keep up to date with what's happening on the road and in the studio."


VIOLENT STORM — the band formed by ex-YNGWIE MALMSTEEN/BLACKMORE'S NIGHT bassist Mick Cervino — has parted ways with singer Craig Swyger "due to musical differences." Cervino states, "Craig will soon be embarking on his own brand new project and I wish him nothing but the best on his future endeavors."

He adds, "VIOLENT STORM's upcoming release is on its last stages. We are focusing on the new vocals and adding the final touches to have a single out in just a few more weeks."

The new VIOLENT STORM singer will be announced shortly.

VIOLENT STORM's video for the song "Fire in the Unknown" can be viewed below. The visual portion of the clip features the following lineup:

Mick Cervino- Bass
Craig Swyger - Vocals
Dorian Vaz - Guitar
Rod Valente - Drums

VIOLENT STORM's latest album, "Storm Warning" was produced by JUDAS PRIEST guitarist K.K. Downing (his first production credit outside of PRIEST), and features guest appearances by Downing, Malmsteen and Roy Z (HALFORD, BRUCE DICKINSON). The CD was released in the U.S. on July 17, 2007 via Gold Storm Records.

Italian rock/metal act LACUNA COIL has announced the following U.S. dates in May:

May 08 - KDJE Edgefest - Arkansas State Fairground
May 14 - KRROfest - Sioux Falls, SD - Wild Water West Park

Commented singer Cristina Scabbia: "We're super-happy to announce we'll be in the United States soon again and there are still a LOT MORE of gigs all around the world to be added and announced soon! I also take the chance to say thank you all for your support through all these years; it means the world to us and we love you all very much!!"

LACUNA COIL is rumored to be planning additional U.S. dates in May with FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH and DROWNING POOL. However, this information has not yet been officially corroborated by an official source.

Fan-filmed video footage of LACUNA COIL's March 2, 2010 performance in Milan, Italy can be viewed below.

Photos of the band's "homecoming" concert at the Alcatraz club are available on the news blog Musica Metal.

According to Musica Metal, LACUNA COIL bassist Marco Coti Zelati was unable to join his bandmates onstage at Milan concert due to an injured shoulder that prevented him from taking part in the group's European tour. Marco's bass parts during the show were played by an anonymous fill-in musician who remained in the background and did not appear on stage with the band. In addition, Cristina Scabbia performed a special version of the song "The Maze", wearing a black evening dress and accompanied only by guitarist Cristiano Migliore.

LACUNA COIL recently released a special double-disc "deluxe edition" of its latest album, "Shallow Life", for the price of a single CD, featuring alternate artwork, a disc full of rare and previously unreleased material (studio, acoustic and live tracks) and an expanded booklet.

LACUNA COIL's European headlining tour featured support from DIRTY LITTLE RABBITS and the gothic rock act DOMMIN. DIRTY LITTLE RABBITS was direct support to LACUNA COIL on seven shows, while DOMMIN took part in the entire tour.

Orange County, California's BLEEDING THROUGH has tapped drummer Mark Garza (THE FAMINE) to fill in for Derek Youngsma for the band's upcoming shows in Japan and Australia while Youngsma awaits the birth of his second child.

Norwegian black metallers MAYHEM will support British black metal pioneers VENOM in Sofia, Bulgaria.

The concert will now take place on May 30 at the Hristo Botev Hall instead of the previously announced April 17 at Zala Festivalna.

Opening the show will be the Slovenian band NOCTIFERIA, which last performed in Bulgaria with SAMAEL and OMEGA in 2009.

HAIL OF BULLETS — the Dutch death metal band featuring GOREFEST drummer Ed Warby, THANATOS guitarists Stephan Gebédi and Paul Baayens, former PESTILENCE/ASPHYX singer Martin Van Drunen and former HOUWITSER bass player Theo van Eekelen — has issued the following update:

"So we are almost finished with the sessions for the new HAIL OF BULLETS studio album.

"We've been pretty busy these past few months, especially Ed, who was, and still is, working his ass off handling all recording and editing chores. But we're not too far removed from finishing all the work!

"Martin will do vocals in a few weeks at Excess Studios where we also recorded the drums last month. Everything else was recorded at Ed's home studio, the aptly named Warbunker. Mixing and mastering will once again be in the capable hands of mister Dan Swanö (ex-EDGE OF SANITY, BLOODBATH, NIGHTINGALE). Crushing heaviness guaranteed!"

"Warsaw Rising", the first-ever video from HAIL OF BULLETS, can be viewed below. The clip was directed/edited by Dave Cardoso and Dave Hall.

The "Warsaw Rising" EP was released on July 17, 2009 (in Europe) via Metal Blade Records. Featuring two brand new tracks, one cover and three live recordings, it was made available as a six-page digipack and in a strictly limited edition of 2,000 copies only!

"Warsaw Rising" contains the new songs "Liberators" (an ode to one of the most magnificent bombers ever built) and the title track (which tells the tragic tale of the bloody 1944 Warsaw uprising). A "massive" cover of the TWISTED SISTER classic "Destroyer" and three tracks from the BULLETS' earth-shattering performance at the 2008 Party.San Open Air festival are also included.

"…Of Frost And War", the debut album from HAIL OF BULLETS, was released in Europe in May 2008 via Metal Blade Records. The CD was recorded in February/March of 2008 at Excess Studios in Rotterdam, Holland and was mixed and mastered in Sweden by Dan Swanö.

HAIL OF BULLETS was formed in late 2006 through a mutual love for old-school death metal bands like AUTOPSY, BOLT THROWER, MASSACRE, CELTIC FROST and DEATH. In the summer of 2007, the band entered a Rotterdam studio to record a four-song promotional CD, which was also mixed by Swanö.

Germany's Kings Of Black Metal Festival take place on April 10th Giessen, Germany at the Hessenhallen. The running order has been announced and is as follows:

13:30 - 14:15 - DEN SAAKALDTE
14:35 - 15:15 - FORGOTTEN TOMB
15:35 - 16:10 - IMPIETY
16:30 - 17:10 - DARKENED NOCTURN SLAUGHTERCULT
17:35 - 18:15 - SETHERIAL
18:35 - 19:20 - INQUISITION
19:35 - 20:25 - ENTHRONED
20:45 - 21:30 - KAMPFAR
22:20 - 23:50 - IMMORTAL

For ticket information go to this location.

The 2010 edition of the Gothenburg Deathfest is being held on November 6th at the Henriksberg Ballroom in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Confirmed acts include: ABYSMAL TORMENT, INSISION, CORPUS MORTALE, SOLIDIFICATION, FACIAL ABUSE plus three more bands to be announced.

For more info visit www.myspace.com/gothenburgdeathfest.

According to a brief update from Chicago's BLACK SEPTEMBER, the band is still seeking a guitarist "that is willing and able to do live shows, tour and possibly record. Please contact us via MySpace if you are interested and live in the Chicago area."

Black September recently issued the following update:

"We are proud to announce A. Blann as the new full-time bass player and T. Nickels as a session drummer for the upcoming LP. We are putting the final touches on the writing process and will continue with recording when the songs have reached finality.

We have no plans to play any live shows until this recording is complete, but expect regional and national shows once the LP is done. Artwork and song listing will be announced soon."

Reunited US thrashers DEATHRASH have issued the following update:

"Deathrash will be at Mountain Creek South (at the bottom of the terrain park) in Vernon, NJ on March 20th with PINE ISLAND, LAKESIDE DR, MENACE AND THE HELLFIRES, SUNDOWN CONSPIRACY and CRUSHPILE. We are going on at 3:45. Come on out and fuck shit up. The snow in the pit will be blood red when we're done! RAGE!"


------------------------------------

For MetalHeads Who Want To Have there say!
Long Live The Power Of METAL!!!
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeavyMetalHeaven/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeavyMetalHeaven/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
HeavyMetalHeaven-digest@yahoogroups.com
HeavyMetalHeaven-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
HeavyMetalHeaven-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment